Working with Children Check
Last updated: June 2020
In Queensland, a working with children check is also known as a Blue Card.
Volleyball Queensland (VQ) is committed to ensuring the safety and wellbeing of all participants involved in any VQ event. For any VQ event that involves children (a person under the age of 18), VQ requires all employees and volunteers to obtain or renew a Blue Card before starting working with children.
This includes, but is not limited to all coaches, referees, venue managers, and venue setup crew.
The website for Blue Card Services has extensive information on the Blue Card system, the key points of which are summarised below.
There are three different types of Blue Card available which are broadly categorised as:
- Paid – required when your services are rewarded by a monetary method
- Volunteer – monetary reward or payment is to only cover expenses
- Exemption – QLD registered teachers and police officers will apply for exemption instead of a Blue Card
Blue Cards can also be linked to multiple organisations if the individual involved is undertaking additional child-related activities with a new or additional organisation.
In 2020, Blue Card Services will implement new requirements for people working with children. These state that:
- A person cannot work or volunteer in an event that involves children without an approved Blue Card or Exemption.
- Exemptions will now have an expiry date – holders of current Exemptions will need to reapply within the next three years.
When applying for a Blue Card (new or renewing) or Exemption, these are the basic steps:
- Work out which type of Blue Card is needed
- If needed, pay for your application, which can be done online. Follow the instructions carefully and record the receipt number. The current fee is $92.30
- Contact VQ by phone or email to obtain the Organisation details required when filling in the application. A VQ staff member will send you the required values
- Apply for a Blue Card or Exemption via the online link. If you do not wish to use the online link you can download a blank form (the links are available on same site)
- Upon completion you will be instructed to download the form so you can check the details and sign section 14. Please note, it is an offence for a disqualified person to sign a Blue Card application form
- Next, send the form to VQ along with scanned copies of the Proof of Identity you nominated in Part E of the form
- VQ will check all fields and proof of identity and, if satisfied, sign and submit the form to the Blue Card Services
Blue Card Services advise the process can take up to 28 days. You will be notified by email and letter of the outcome of the check. Currently Blue Cards are valid for 3 years.
For more information visit: