As advice and guidance regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) is constantly evolving, Volleyball Queensland continues to monitor information shared by the State and Federal Governments as it relates to community sport and the risks posed by COVID-19.
As of Thursday 26 March, advice from Queensland Health and the Australian Federal Government stated that:
“All non-essential gatherings are suspended to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.”
The following facilities are restricted from opening:
– Gyms and Indoor Sporting Venues
– Health Clubs, Fitness Centres, Yoga, Barre and Spin Facilities, Saunas, Bathhouses and Wellness Centres and Swimming Pools
– Community facilities such as Community Halls, Libraries and Youth Centres, RSL and PCYC
Bootcamps and Personal Training can be conducted outdoors with no more than 10 people and social distancing of 1.5m must be observed.
Volleyball Queensland requests its network of affiliates and commercial organisations review their upcoming events and ensure they too are following the latest government advice to help reduce the further spread of COVID-19.
Additional advice for our sporting community, as outlined by public health officials includes, the implementation of more robust hygiene and cleaning practices, ’no handshakes’, maintaining social distancing of 1.5m, ensuring hand washing facilities are readily available and encouraged through social media, and coach advocacy to players.
As an organisation, we are committed to ensuring the health and safety of our extended volleyball community. Based on the latest Queensland Health guidelines, we have made the difficult decision to adjust our upcoming calendar of events as follows:
- PVL will be provisionally delayed from 05 April to 10 May. This will be reviewed closer to the time to determine if a later date is more suitable.
- Intermediate Schools Cup due to take place from 29 – 31 May, will now be held later in the year. More details will be available over the coming weeks.
- AJVC trials will be held no earlier than late May.
- VQ AGM will proceed on Saturday, 23 May due to a legal requirement for this to be conducted by June. However, the meeting will be scaled down to no more than 40 people attending in person with overflow accommodated via digital technologies.
Based on the spread and impact of COVID-19, we will continue to review Volleyball Queensland’s upcoming activities on a regular basis and will share further updates regarding additional rescheduling or revised event formats accordingly.
Finally, we would like to take this opportunity to thank all affiliates, commercial partners, members and our wider volleyball community for their understanding and support during this unprecedented time.